How to import 3D meshes with appearance properties in Fusion 360
Case study regarding various models imported with visual appearances in Fusion 360
Step 1: Preparing the models in 3ds Max
For the case study of transferring files with visual appearance I made use of 3ds Max for the file conversion.
Here are the steps on how to prepare 3D meshes in 3ds Max to have them exported as OBJ with texture in Fusion 360 software:
- Make sure that your model is watertight. This means that there are no holes or gaps in the mesh. You can use the Mesh > Clean Up command to check for and fix any errors in your mesh.
- If your model has any materials applied to it, make sure that the materials are exported as well. You can do this by selecting the materials and then exporting them using the Export > Materials command.
- Save your model as an OBJ file. To do this, go to File > Export and select the OBJ file format.
- In the export settings, make sure that the Export Textures option is enabled. This will export the textures that are applied to your model.
- Click on the Export button to export your model.